We represent a regional member subset of the Association for Science Teacher Education (ASTE). Our Southeastern region officially includes Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina. However, we welcome any science teacher educator outside of those specified areas.
Mission of Southeastern Region
To foster leadership in and support for those involved in the professional development of teachers of science primarily for those working in or concerned with states in the Southeast. In fulfillment of this mission, we meet each fall for a 2-day conference to support the work of graduate students, provide a space for potential collaborations, and share ongoing scholarship/research endeavors with colleagues across the region.
Photo: 2019 Pre-conference social
Recent Conference Information
The Southeastern Region met virtually for our scheduled conference (which was to be held in Dahlonega at the University of North Georgia) on October 4, 2020. Our 2020 president and host was Dr. Gina Childers. We had unprecedented attendance with representatives from South Carolina, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, and Alabama.
Upcoming Conference Information
- Date: October 16, 2021 (virtual meeting options are also planned)
- Location: Downtown Safety Harbor, FL at the Safety Harbor Resort and Spa
- Hotel Accommodations: Book early due to city events occurring that same weekend potentially causing the hotel to book up (note: you are able to cancel your reservation with no penalty up to 3 days before check-in date).
- $129 per night, the $16 resort fee is waived
- Do not book online, call the hotel directly at 727-726-1161 during business hours (9:00am – 5:00pm EST). Request to speak to someone “at the front desk of the hotel” to avoid reaching the call center, which does not have our group information.
- We have a block of rooms for Friday, October 15 and Saturday, October 16.
- When you call, provide the group code: 39M2J1 (or Southeast Association for Science Teacher Education annual conference)
- If you have any issues, email MelanieKinskey@gmail.com for help